The Stockbrokers and Financial Advisers Association’s Foreign Exchange (FX) course is designed not only for advisers with retail clients, but advisory staff that also deal with wholesale clients – not institutions, but high net worth individuals who would be classed as sophisticated investors and who deal in some of the products that would not normally be traded by retail investors – such as spot transactions, forwards and currency options. The FX course covers FX markets, FX exchange products, taxation, and compliance.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
The Foreign Exchange course provides 10 FASEA CPD hours to candidates. See breakdown for FASEA areas:
|FASEA CPD Area|
|Technical competence||5 hours|
|Regulatory compliance and consumer protection||4 hours|
|Total Hours||10 hours|
The FX course covers the areas of:
- FX markets
- FX exchange products
Advisers who provide advice on foreign exchange must meet training requirements under Regulatory Guide 146 Licensing: Training of financial product advisers (RG 146). Foreign exchange is classed as a Tier 1 product in RG 146.
RG146: This course meets the training requirements under ASIC Regulatory Guide RG146 in specialist knowledge for Foreign Exchange at a Tier 1 level. Regarding RG146 CPD, candidates may claim 10 hours of CPD in Generic, Securities and/or Foreign Exchange, and including up to 8 hours of Compliance CPD for completing the Foreign Exchange course.
Who should complete the course?
The course is ideal for advisers with retail clients and advisory staff that also deal with wholesale clients – not institutions.
Is there any assumed pre-requisite knowledge ?
There is no assumed knowledge for this course.
Please ensure that the course you intend to enrol in is one you are required to undertake and are committed to completing, as fees are non-refundable. Substitutes are welcome within the enrolment period.
1 x Online Exam (Closed Book, 40 questions, 1.5hrs + 15min reading time, 80% passmark)
Suggested study hours
Allow up to 90 hours
How does the process work?
Courses are administered by the Stockbrokers and Financial Advisers Association (SAFAA). Enrolments close at 3.00pm every Monday Sydney time.
- Candidate enrols online/registration is received.
- Candidate receives Welcome email from SAFAA on Tuesday with course information/study materials.
- Candidate completes and returns ‘Exam Booking Form’ to schedule their exam day/time. This must be done at least 3 days prior to exam.
- SAFAA releases exam/closes exam at designated day/time.
- The Candidate’s approved Supervisor supervises exam and returns the ‘Declaration by Online Exam Supervisor’ to SAFAA. Results will not be released until SAFAA has received the completed ‘Declaration by Online Exam Supervisor’.
- Candidate receives result (results are released within 1 working day). Candidate receives Certificate (Certificates are issued end of each month).
Please go to each course page to enrol directly online.
- Application to be an Online Exam Supervisor (to be completed and returned by new Supervisors)
- Declaration by Online Exam Supervisor (to be completed and returned by Supervisors following supervision of a candidate’s online exam)
SAFAA Exam Booking Form (to be completed and returned by candidate at least 3 days prior to them sitting their online exam)
Enrolments close at 3.00pm every Monday Sydney time.